Respond to your Household Enquiry Form - Don’t lose your vote

Release Date: 
Monday, July 2, 2018 - 11:30

Household Enquiry forms are being sent by your local authority to identify if all voter registration details at the property are correct and who might not be registered to vote at their address.

Failure to respond promptly results in further reminders and personal visits from Canvassers required to visit non-responding households.

To respond, residents simply visit and enter the security codes as printed on the front of their form. There are also options to respond via text, freephone or calling the election office on 01536 46 40 12/14.

Even if there are no changes to the details at your household or you have already registered to vote, you still need to respond. Completion of the Household Enquiry form is compulsory and a failure to respond is a criminal offence, which can result in a fine up to £1,000.

Norman Stronach, Electoral Registration Officer at Corby Borough Council said:

“It’s important that residents respond as soon as possible, so we can make sure we have the right details on the electoral register for every address. Responding now will help ensure that you are ready to have a say at elections and referendums, as well as reduce unnecessary costs for your local council in sending out further reminders.

Simply check the form when it arrives and respond as soon as possible whether online, by freephone or text. You will be surprised how quick and easy it is to respond.

If you’re not currently registered, your name will not appear on the form. So check it carefully when you respond so that we can confirm exactly who needs to register and how. The easiest way to register, day or night, is online at or by calling your local election office.”

People who have moved address recently are particularly encouraged to keep an eye out for the form and check the details. Research by the independent Electoral Commission indicates that recent home movers are far less likely to be registered than those that have lived at the same address for a long time. Across Great Britain, 94% of people who have been at their property for more than sixteen years will be registered, compared to 40% of people who have lived at an address for less than one year.

Not updating your details on the Electoral Register can have unexpected consequences such as affecting your credit score which can cause difficulties when buying things on credit such as a mobile phone, or making a mortgage application.

Details on how you can respond are listed on every Household Enquiry form. Residents who have any questions can contact their local authority.

Corby Residents can call 01536 46 40 12/14, email or visit Corby Borough Council’s Electoral Registration page,

Notes to editors
1. The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:  detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service or checking credit applications.
3. The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.
4. To be eligible to register to vote a person must be:
- Aged 16 or over (a person may register to vote at 16, but may not vote until they are 18)
- A British or qualifying Commonwealth citizen who has leave to enter and remain in the UK or does not require such leave.
- A citizen of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member state.
5. British citizens, Irish citizens and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta), as well as citizens of other EU member states can vote in local government elections and Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales.
6. Full details of the Electoral Commission’s research on the electoral registers.

More Information: 

For press enquries please contact: Kim Buzzard, Corby Borough Council
Telephone: 01536 464022 Mobile: 07568 590 324

Follow us on Twitter @CorbyBC

Last updated: Thursday 19th July 2018 11:26:34 AM
Review date: Wednesday 8th July 2020 11:24:32 AM