Custom and Self-Build Housing

Welcome to Corby’s Custom and Self-Build Register for new housing

This register is a place that allows you to express your interest in custom and self-build housing projects that may become available in the future.  In order to understand and estimate the demand for custom and self-building in our local area we would like to know how many Corby residents are interested in building their own home. 

This survey will help us to develop housing and planning policies to support the kind of custom and self-build projects that would be most appropriate.

By registering with Corby Borough Council’s Custom and Self-Build Register you are agreeing that your details will be made public and may be passed to relevant landowners, developers, land agents, housing associations or other appropriate groups that deal in, or wish to be involved in, self/custom build. Please note that registration does not however guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available. Planning permission will also be required for any development in the normal way.

About custom and self-build housing

Self-build housing, also known as custom housing, is where a builder is contracted by a home owner to create a ‘custom built’ property or where a private individual builds a home as a DIY ‘self-build’ project.

This form of housing can include (but is not limited to):

  • Single detached homes on small plots in rural or urban areas

  • Community self-build projects

  • Blocks of apartments commissioned by a group of people in an urban area

Building your own home can be a more affordable route to home ownership and an opportunity to own a bespoke sustainably designed, high quality home that suits you and your family’s needs.


The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015, requires local Authorities to maintain a self build and custom build house building register.  For more information, the following links take you to the Act and related planning guidance.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 is available at:

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016 are available at:

Planning Guidance is available at:


Available funding for community led projects

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) has a number of funding opportunities for community led projects. The following link takes you to their page for more information:

Available funding for individuals

The Self-Build portal contains information on potential sources of finance:

Completing the survey:

If you are interested in any element of custom or self-building, and want to be added to our register, please complete our online survey using this link .

Contact us:

If you have any queries or need help or advice in completing the survey please contact Corby Borough Council:

Address: Planning Policy, Corby Borough Council, Deene House, New Post Office Square, Corby, Northants NN17 1GD
Telephone: 01536 464158

Last updated: Wednesday 6th December 2017 10:52:47 AM
Review date: Saturday 1st December 2018 10:49:48 AM