Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website


The Council believes that it is always unacceptable for a child, young person or vulnerable adult to experience abuse of any kind and recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children, young people and vulnerable adults, by a commitment to a practice which protects them. 

It is EVERYONE’s responsibility to act on any concerns they may and if a child, young person or Vulnerable adult has been harmed or is at risk, this must be reported at the earliest opportunity.

Safeguarding Children and Young People

Reporting a concern

If it is an emergency and you think that a child may be in immediate danger please contact the emergency services directly by calling 999.

What should I do if I am worried or concerned?

If you are worried or concerned about something that has happened to you, a friend or someone you know, please call the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 0300 126 7000.

What is the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub?

Various professionals from different organisations work together in the MASH, including social care, police and the NHS. By working together, we are able to share and use information to help us to decide on the best course of action in relation to your concern.

For more information click on the link below to be directed to  Northamptonshire Childrens Trust website 


Safeguarding Adults - Reporting a concern

If an adult is in immediate danger, or missing, you should contact the police directly and/or an ambulance using 999.

When to report an adult safeguarding concern

The definition of an adult at risk is when a local authority has a reason to believe that an adult in its area (whether ordinarily a resident or not) is:

  • in need of care or support (whether or not the authority is meeting any of those needs)
  • experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect
  • as a result of those needs unable to protect themselves against the abuse, neglect, or the risk of it

You may want to refer to The Care Act 2014 or NHS guidance on different forms of abuse and neglect, which are wide ranging, before reporting a concern.


When reporting a concern you may need to gain the consent of the person involved, but this is not always possible. This is also known as a person's 'capacity' to understand what is happening.

The Mental Capacity Act states to have capacity a person must be able to:

  • understand the information that is relevant to the decision they want to make
  • retain the information long enough to be able to make the decision
  • weigh up the information available to make the decision
  • communicate their decision by any possible means, including talking, using sign language, or through simple muscle movements such as blinking an eye or squeezing a hand

If the concern is urgent, contact Northamptonshire County Council Customer Service Centre on 0300 126 7000. The Emergency Duty Team can be contacted outside office hours on 01604 626 938.





Last updated: Saturday 5th June 2021 09:55:11 AM
Review date: Tuesday 31st May 2022 09:54:28 AM