Hate Crime - How to report hate incidents in Corby

What is a hate incident?

Hate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person's: disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.

An incident / offence may be physical, verbal or written and can take many forms including:

  • Physical attack – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti
  • Threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene calls
  • Verbal abuse or insults
  • Offensive leaflets and posters, hate mail, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes
  • Harassment, bullying and victimisation

    No one should have to tolerate hate incidents, reporting makes a difference, if we don’t know about it we can’t change it.

    Working in partnership, Corby Borough Council believes that everyone who lives or works in or visits Corby has the right to be treated with dignity and respect and to live without fear of hatred.

    Why is it important to report hate incidents?

  • Only by recording incidents can we build up a comprehensive picture of hate incidents across Corby
  • We need to know the number, type and range of hate incidents
  • This will show us where the problem areas are and help us to improve services to deal with hate incidents 

    Who can report an incident?

    Anybody can complete the Hate Crime Reporting Form.  If you have experienced or are aware of anyone who has experienced a hate incident then we want to know about it.  An incident report can be completed anonymously you do not have to identify yourself, but if you want us to contact you it is essential that you leave a contact number or address. You can report an incident even if you do not have all of the information requested on the form, as any information that you can provide may be valuable.

    You can report an incident:

  • By completing the reporting form and returning it to theCommunity Safety team.
  • By calling the Community Safety Team on 01536 464071
  • In confidence directly to your line manager if you are a Corby Borough Council employee
  • If you think the incident involved is a criminal offence you should report it to the police by calling 999 if it’s emergency, or 101. 

    What happens next?

  • Every incident form will be treated confidentially
  • Every incident will be taken seriously

    If you report an incident we will record it only for statistical reasons, unless the report contains information which raises a safeguarding concern. In those instances, we are legally obliged to act on those concerns and will refer to Northamptonshire County Council and the Police.

    If you want help to take action, one of our community safety officers will contact you to find out more.  We will not give personal details about you to anyone, including the police or any other organisation, without asking you first.

Last updated: Monday 26th February 2018 09:05:54 AM
Review date: Thursday 21st February 2019 09:05:37 AM