Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Commercial and Household Clinical Waste

Clinical Waste

Clinical waste is deemed as such by the Controlled Waste Regulations 20121 or by a medical professional such as a Doctor, Consultant or District Nurse. This waste may be hazardous to any person coming into contact with it and therefore must be collected and disposed of appropriately.

Clinical waste produced by medical practitioners

Corby and Kettering Borough Council are not responsible for the collection and disposal arrangements of clinical waste within the borough, if the health authority is undertaking treatment of patients in the home. The health authority must ensure the necessary arrangements are in place for the collection/disposal of this waste themselves or by using a third-party contractor.

Charges apply to these clinical waste collections and cover the collection cost of this waste.

Where a medical body requests a clinical waste collection on behalf of a patient, they must provide details for invoices to be sent and changes will be made quarterly in arrears.

Clinical waste produced by residents

The Council can offer a free of charge collection and disposal service to those residents that are self-administering their treatment and produced clinical waste, such as needles, in their home.

Where this collection service is required please contact our customer services team on 0300 126 3000​ or email customerfirst.cbc@northnorthants.gov.uk

​​Clinical waste produced by a business

Any other waste arising from medical, nursing, dental, veterinary, pharmaceutical, investigation, treatment, care teaching or research, or the collection of blood for transfusion, being waste which may cause infection to any person coming into contact with it will be required to be collected as clinical waste. Charges will be made at a commercial collection rate and will cover the cost of collection and disposal arrangements.

Commercial customers such as Tattoo Studios and Beauticians operating in both Corby and Kettering can email commercialwasteadmin.KBC@northnorthants.gov.uk or call 01536 410333 to set up a collection.


Offensive waste

Offensive Waste is non-clinical waste which can comprise of sanitary towels, nappies and incontinence pads (known collectively as sanpro waste) and other waste that is not hazardous (i.e. non-infectious). This waste is not considered hazardous when it originates from a healthy population.

Offensive waste produced by medical practitioners

Where the health authority is producing this waste whilst treating patients in their home, they should be assessing the waste they produce. If the type and quantity of the offensive waste produced is similar to that which is found is typical domestic waste, it can be tripled wrapped and placed in the domestic bin. Where the type and quantity is not similar to typical domestic waste, the health authority should be segregating and arranging for the disposal of that waste.

Offensive waste produced by residents

Offensive waste produced by a domestic household should be triple wrapped and placed in the general waste container.

If a large amount of offensive waste is being produced by residents in the household an additional general waste bin can be supplied. The need for an additional bin in these circumstances will be assessed by an officer and each case will be looked at on an individual basis. The following circumstances will be considered:

  • Where one or more adults in the household have a condition that causes them to produce a large amount of incontinence pads, adult nappies, soiled clothing and/or bedding.
  • There are two or more children in the household, that wear disposable nappies.
  • There are one or more children in the household with a medical condition that causes them to produce a large number of nappies, soiled clothing and/or bedding.

Bins issued on medical grounds or for children in nappies will be reviewed on an annual basis and may require a visit from an officer for assessment. 

Where you would like an assessment for an additional bin, please contact our customer services team on 0300 126 3000​ or email customerfirst.cbc@northnorthants.gov.uk

Waste transfer notes

Medical professionals, householders or carers are required to complete a Waste Transfer Note before the additional bin or clinical waste collection service can be provided.


Medical Professionals operating in Corby or Kettering can email email commercialwasteadmin.KBC@northnorthants.gov.uk

Reference documents;

Last updated: Saturday 18th June 2022 08:33:10 AM
Review date: Sunday 21st May 2023 11:56:23 AM