Hazardous Waste

Corby Borough Council does NOT collect hazardous waste from domestic or commercial properties.

  • Hazardous waste can include:
  • Motor oil and used cooking oil
  • Motor vehicle batteries / fluid
  • Asbestos material
  • Used paint
  • Building and construction waste
  • Creosote
  • Gas Canisters
  • Weed killer
  • Corrosives
  • Flammables
  • Fluorescent Tubes

This waste is treated very differently to ordinary waste and has its own legislation which has to be adhered to. These wastes are disposed of by specialist companies to ensure that no harm is done to the population or the environment. Some household waste is dealt with differently because it is hazardous, such as fridges, which need to have the gas removed.

The recent changes to regulations for management of hazardous wastes has meant there has been an increase in the number of items now classified as hazardous. Current advice is that these changes do not apply to householders at this time. However, further changes in regulations are expected in summer 2005 that will have an impact on how hazardous waste, including electrical and electronic equipment, from households is both collected and disposed of.

It is the responsibility of the householder to make arrangements with a private contractor or take such waste to an appropriate disposal site.

Dead animals found in public places will be collected by our Street Scene contractor Kier Environmental Services.  To report a dead animal please contact the Street Scene Hotline on (01536) 464242.

Clinical waste such as medical dressings and used syringes are only collected from individual households at the request of health trusts, health centres, doctors and district nurses. Contact us for more information.

Last updated: Monday 10th June 2019 09:45:04 AM
Review date: Saturday 23rd November 2019 10:34:18 AM