Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Annual Canvass 2020

Looking to update or confirm voter details?

Please visit: www.householdresponse.com/corby

Looking to register to vote?

Please visit www.gov.uk/registertovote

Every year each residential property receives a Household Enquiry Form to check all eligible persons at the address are registered to vote and their details are up-to-date.

This year will be slightly different; different forms will be sent based upon who has already registered to vote at the property and comparison of local data.

We will also pro-actively be using telephone/text/emails to encourage a response.

Responding quickly, where prompted, will ensure that there is no need for a home visit, which is particularly significant during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Some forms do not require a response and each form will tell you what to do next.

A “Canvass Form” will be used for any property where it is not clear if a change to voter details is to be recorded or not.

  • Check and confirm your voting details.
  • It is an offence for an individual to fail to notify us of a change, or provide false information.
  • You still have to complete the Canvass Form even if there is no change.

If you ignore the Canvass Form and reminders we will need to visit your property and you could be fined up to £1,000.

Forms are being sent from the 20th July – Respond on time or risk a £1,000 fine.

It is a legal responsibility for all to respond and help ensure that our Electoral Register is as fully accurate as possible.

Benefits for assistance in completing these forms promptly include:

  • maintaining a good credit score
  • having a say in elections and referendums
  • avoiding a fine

Upon completion of our Annual Canvass, a new Register of Electors will be published on 1 December 2020. Those entitled to a copy of the Electoral register can contact Electoral Services using the details below.

Below are some frequently answered questions, if you have any not covered in the examples below, please call (01536) 464 012 or email electoral.services@corby.gov.uk

Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)

Why do you send these forms out each year?

To confirm all voter records are correct. The form lists the current eligible voters in your household and simply asks you to check and update the details.

What if I don't have a form/What if I've thrown it away?

If you've thrown your form away by accident, or it's gone astray, contact Electoral Services at Corby Borough Council.  

How do I respond?

Look for security codes printed on your form then do ONE of the following options:

  • ONLINE  www.householdresponse.com/corby and enter part 1 and part 2 of the security code, or
  • TEXT (if nothing has changed) NOCHANGE followed by the security code to 80212 (If nobody is eligible to vote they should  include a reason e.g empty, business, 2nd home), or
  • PHONE 0800 197 9871 (if nothing has changed) and when prompted enter the security code, or
  • POST the completed form (use an additional sheet if necessary) back to Corby Borough Council or use the Self Addressed Envelope (if provided).
  • EMAIL electoral.services@corby.gov.uk indicating what changes (if any) are to be made. We will need to know who is responding to validate the response.

What information do you need?

  1. Check that the full names and nationalities of everyone resident aged 16 or over are listed and correct.
  2. If anyone listed on the form is no longer living at your address, their names should be clearly crossed through or removed.
  3. If there are no residents at the property, state why in your response.
  4. Sign the form, we need to know who responded (whether online, email, paper form) in order for it to be fully accepted.

What will happen after I respond to the form?

If there are no changes made then we do not need to contact you further until next year. You will receive poll cards as normal for any elections you are eligible to vote in.


If there are changes we will process them and may need to contact you further in some instances.

New residents added in your response need to register themselves to vote. We will send individual registration forms to remind them, unless they go online to www.gov.uk/registertovote.

If anyone has forgotten or cannot find their National Insurance number, they can contact the National Insurance Number helpline on 0300 200 3500. If someone cannot supply their National Insurance number, they may be expected to supply evidence (such as a valid passport) to verify their identity at a later date.

Why have I been contacted by phone/text/email/visited by a canvasser?

Responding quickly, where prompted, will ensure that there is no need for a home visit, which is particularly significant during the Coronavirus pandemic. It is a legal responsibility for all to respond, avoid a fine and ensure that our Electoral Register is as fully accurate as possible.

Therefore we are using all communication methods to reach our electorate and encourage a response including text, email and telephone canvassing.

Some may not be used to being messaged in this way and so if you have any concerns about the legitimacy of any voter registration messaging or wish to opt out of electronic communication, please contact Electoral Services.

I’ve already responded; why have I been visited by a canvasser?

If you already responded but receive another form to complete or receive a visit from a canvasser, there may be a number of reasons why this happened.

Your original form may not have reached our offices or has crossed over with another form being sent to your property. Pease contact our office or use our automated response services to ensure that you do not receive further reminders from us.

You know I’m registered; I did one of these forms last year/I voted in the last election!

Every property will receive these forms every year in order to check the voter details of everybody living there remains correct and up-to-date.

I registered to vote a few days ago, why am I not on the form?

Forms can take several weeks to produce and send out, so some of the information is no longer valid. Either way, please contact our office or use our automated services to ensure that the details for all are as accurate and up-to-date as possible.

How do I find out if I’m already registered?

The Electoral Register is not published online.  Please contact Electoral Services on (01536) 464 012 or email electoral.services@corby.gov.uk to enquire.

How can I work as a canvasser?

Every year we recruit casual staff to help us door-knock during the annual canvass. This year's door knocking phase will be undertaken between August and October 2020. If interested in working for us, please contact Electoral Services on electoral.services@corby.gov.uk or call (01536) 464 012.

Last updated: Wednesday 22nd July 2020 10:10:32 AM
Review date: Saturday 17th July 2021 09:57:08 AM