Complaints, Compliments and Comments

How to complain, comment or compliment about Council Services in Corby

We hope that the services you receive from us are of the quality you need and expect.  However, we know that there may be times when you are unhappy with the service you receive and wish to lodge a formal complaint.  You may want to suggest a way to improve services, make a comment on the services you receive, or compliment the Council on the service you have received.

1. Introduction

We hope that the service you receive from us is of the quality you expect. However, we know that there may be times when you may want to make a comment on the services you receive, compliment us on our services or make a formal complaint if you are unhappy with the service you have received.

The people who can best deal with your concerns are those who provide the service. We can normally sort out mistakes and misunderstandings quickly. However, if we cannot sort out your problem this way, the complaints procedure (outlined herein) should be used to address this. Complaints help us to put things right if they go wrong, learn from our mistakes and change and improve the way we provide services.

2. How to contact us

We want to make it easy for you to contact us; you can do this in several ways:

  • In person
  • By letter
  • By e-mail at
  • By typetalk on 18001 – 01536 402 551
  • By internet using this online form (opens in a new window)
  • Using the Comments and Compliments Form or Complaint Form at the back of this booklet
  • Through someone else, a Councillor, solicitor, friend or relative.

If you choose to make a complaint, every effort will be made to resolve your issue and provide a full written response. We can also accept complaints made anonymously and will investigate the matter even though we cannot provide any formal response.

3.  What is a complaint?

A complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction regarding a service provided by us or on our behalf; however, a complaint does not include:

  • First requests for a service or first reports of faults;
  • Requests for information on, or a clearer explanation of our policies;
  • Matters for which there is a right of appeal with the Council, or a legal solution.

4.   What will happen when I make a complaint?

We have a simple procedure for complaints, which incorporates the following three stages:

Stage one

When we receive your complaint the nature and type of the complaint will be assessed by the relevant coordinator. The complaint will be recorded and given a unique complaint number (which will be used until the complaint is resolved.) This will help us track the progress of your complaint and assist you, if for some reason you need to contact us again. The relevant officer will then make any investigations and enquiries necessary to resolve your complaint, and respond to you in writing.

Stage two

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint, if you have a further complaint, or the complaint is of a more complex nature, for example regarding the conduct of an individual employee, further investigation will be required. You will be sent an acknowledgement within 5 working days whilst the matter is being investigated by the Chief Executive’s Office.

Stage three

Once we have given our final response, if you are still not satisfied, the complaint can then be made to the Local Government Ombudsman (Forms available from:  The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH, or telephone: 0300 061 0614, fax: 024 7682 0001 or Website:

or if it is a housing related complaint you can go to the Housing Ombudsman using the following link

5. Customer Comment Coordinators

We have a number of customer comment coordinators who will deal with customer comments, compliments and complaints. You may wish to contact the officer in the service that most closely matches your issue. Please see below:

Service Area Responsible For Contact Details
CB Property Services Regeneration projects, building & capital projects, corporate maintenance of buildings
Rob Mills
01536 464 653
Chief Executive’s Office Corporate & council wide services, policy issues
Helen Goult
01536 464 673
Corporate Services Income collection, benefits, council tax, NNDR (Business Rates), invoicing, insurance, legal, land charges, house sales, freedom of information, data protection, One Stop Shop, ICT & e-government initiatives
Julie Griffiths
01536 464 600
Culture & Leisure Services Leisure & sports facilities, parks, etc
Lynne Toward
01536 464 044
Democratic Services Committees & elections
Alison Beattie
01536 464 015
Environmental Services Refuse collection, street cleansing, grass cutting, fly tipping, graffiti removal, taxis and private hire vehicles, food safety, health & safety, premises & vehicle licenses, pollution control, pest control, private sector housing
Julie Goodrum
01536 464 175
Housing and Neighbourhood Services Homelessness, housing allocations, housing needs & advice, housing repairs, home swaps & exchanges, community safety, antisocial behaviour, CCTV
Denise Barker
01536 464 008
Human Resources Recruitment, training, personnel matters
Carol Bratley
01536 464 034
Planning Services Development control, building control, conservation, listed buildings, building maintenance, tree preservations, regeneration projects
Angela Ross
01536 464 167

6Complaints Handling - Types and Categories of Complaint 

We aim to deal with complaints in a fair, honest and consistent manner. To achieve this we have set the following response times:

  • Acknowledgement within 5 working days
  • Formal response to complaints within 10 working days
  • We will endeavour to respond to complex complaints within 20 working days; if we require additional time for our investigation, we will contact you within this period to extend this time
  • Comments and suggestions about our services will be dealt with in a similar way. They will be acknowledged within 5 working days, with any explanation necessary about why and how we perform our services, and in some cases why we cannot
  • Service requests will be dealt with within agreed service target times

If you consider your complaint to be related to discrimination, please indicate this on our Complaint Form by ticking the appropriate box; your complaint will then be investigated accordingly.

7. Local Government Ombudsman 

There is a right of appeal to the Local Government Ombudsman if you are still not satisfied with our response. The Local Government Ombudsman is an independent national service, which investigates complaints against Council’s. You can complain to the ombudsman at any time at:

The Local Government Ombudsman,

PO Box 4771



Phone: 0300 061 0614
Fax: 024 7682 0001

8. Housing Ombudsman
If you are unhappy with the resolution from the Council you can ask the Housing Ombudsman for further help

Housing Ombudsman Service

Exchange Tower

Harbour Exchange Square

London E14 9GE

Telephone : 0300 111 3000 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:15 to 17:15)
Fax : 020 7831 1942

9. Freedom of Information 

If you make a Freedom of Information Request, the standard requirements need to be met in regard to type of request, potential costs, timescales and response rates. The latter currently set by legislation at 20 working days as covered in our Freedom of Information policies and procedures.

If your complaint is about handling a Freedom of Information request then in the first instance:

  • Specify on the complaints form enclosed your issues and return your form to the Council’s Financial Services Service Area at the address below:
Corby Borough Council
Corby Cube
Parklands Gateway
George Street
Corby NN17 1QG
  • Contact our Financial Services Service Area directly, who will be able to assist you on 01536 464 600.

After this, if any issues remain you can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) who provides support and assistance on Freedom of Information matters at:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Phone: 08456 306 060
Please click below for complaint & compliment form.

Use this on-line form to submit your complaint


Last updated: Sunday 14th April 2019 08:47:10 AM
Review date: Saturday 30th November 2019 04:36:33 PM