Council Tax - Exemptions

 1. What sort of dwellings are exempt?

Some dwellings are exempt from the council tax.

The following broadly explains which types of dwelling may be exempt and where they will be exempt only for a specified length of time.

The following dwellings are exempt if they are:

  • occupied entirely by students, or by students as term time accommodation, or are a student hall of residence;
  • occupied only by people under the age of 18;
  • armed forces accommodation or dwellings where a member of a visiting force would otherwise be liable to pay;
  • occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired who would otherwise be liable to pay the council tax. Such dwellings where the landlord or care home owner is liable are not exempt.

The following dwellings are exempt for a limited period:

  • unoccupied dwellings which form part of the estate of a person who has died, for up to six months after the grant of probate or letters of administration.

The following dwellings are exempt while they remain unoccupied:

  • dwellings where the owner is a student who last lived in the dwelling as their main home;
  • dwellings left unoccupied by people who are in prison (except for non-payment of a fine or council tax).The dwelling must have been their main home immediately before they went into prison;
  • dwellings left unoccupied by people who have moved to receive personal care, whether in a hospital or home or elsewhere. They must have been away for this reason since they left;
  • dwellings left unoccupied by people who have moved to provide personal care to another person. They must have been away for this reason since they left;
    annexes which cannot be let separately from the main dwelling without breaching planning conditions;
  • dwellings where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy;
    repossessed dwellings;
  • dwellings whose occupation is forbidden by law, or which are kept unoccupied because of impending compulsory purchase;
  • vicarages and similar dwellings which are awaiting occupation by ministers of religion, from where they will perform their duties;
  • dwellings which have been taken into possession by a mortgage lender.

Back to Top

2. Will I get a bill for an exempt dwelling?

If you own one of these types of dwelling  and qualify for exemption you will still receive a council tax bill .

The bill will show the banding for the property, the annual charge and entitlement to exemption.

If the Council writes to tell you that it believes your property is exempt, but you realise that it should not be, you must write and tell the council or you may face a penalty. Alternatively please telephone the Council on 01536 464000 or by Email:

Back to Top

3. What can I do if the Council says my property is not exempt?

If the Council decides your dwelling is not exempt and you disagree, you should write to the Council saying why you think your property should be exempt. The Council has two months to provide an answer. If you still disagree with the Council, or if it has not acted within the two month period, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal. See how to appeal.

You should continue to pay your original bill while you appeal is outstanding

Back to Top

4. What is a Class B exemption?

The following dwellings are exempt while they remain unoccupied:

Dwellings left empty and owned by a charitable body (conditions apply, letter of application must be submitted, PSA)

Please see link in attachments for an Application for a Class B exemption.

Back to Top

Last updated: Wednesday 7th August 2019 03:25:26 PM
Review date: Saturday 1st August 2020 03:25:11 PM