Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Council Tax - Appeals

If you are not redirected to our new site in five seconds, click here.

1. What if I think my bill is wrong?

You may appeal against any decision your Council has taken. However you should continue to pay your original council tax bill while your appeal is outstanding.

If you have a query with your Council Tax Banding, please contact the Valuation Office, details are on the back page of your bill. Website www.voa.gov.uk 


2. What can I appeal against?

From 1.12.93 onwards the grounds for appeal have been limited to the following:

Where you believe that the banding should be changed because of an increase or reduction in the value of the property due to building work being carried out on the dwelling, i.e. demolition, extensions or converting the property from houses to flats;

Where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes;

Where the listing officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer;

Physical changes in the locality affecting value; or within 6 months of the following:-

a band change to your property made by the listing officer;

a band change made to a similar property to yours made by the court;

becoming a new taxpayer;

Reductions or increases in value resulting from the general state of the housing market do not affect the banding of your property.


3. How do I appeal?

There are two stages to the appeal process:

STAGE 1: Representations

You must first write to the Council, to make your representations known. You should state who you are and where you live. You should say which decision you are unhappy with and why you are unhappy with it. The Council may ask for further information.

The Council has two months in which to consider your representations. You will not have to attend a hearing at this stage. If the Council rejects your arguments, or it acts on your complaint but you are still not satisfied, or at the end of two months you have not heard from your Council, you will be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. You must do this within two months of the date when the Council notified you of its decision, or if you hear nothing, within four months of the date when you wrote to the council with your representations.

STAGE 2: Appeal to a Valuation Tribunal

Please see the link for https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency  for address of tribunal

Telephone: 03000506555

Email: eastmidlandsgroup.vo@voa.gsi.gov.uk

Website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency

The Tribunal will ask you to make your appeal in writing, stating which decision you are appealing against, why you disagree with it, or, as the case may be, that the Council did not reach a decision. If you and the other parties agree, your case may be dealt with by a exchange of written representations. Otherwise, the Tribunal will get in touch with you to make arrangements for a formal hearing and will send you a leaflet explaining its procedures in detail. Hearings usually last no more than a day. A Tribunal hearing will not cost you anything unless you choose to employ a solicitor or other person to present your case.

If the Tribunal decides in your favour, your Council will revise your bill and adjust your payments, if necessary


Please contact us if you require any further information.

For Council Tax Support Appeals - Please see Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Appeals.

Last updated: Wednesday 14th April 2021 03:49:39 PM
Review date: Friday 8th April 2022 10:28:31 AM