Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website



Anyone who wants to drive a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle in Corby must get a licence from us. A driver can hold a licence for hackney carriage, private hire vehicle or a dual licence, meaning the holder can drive either a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle.

Applicants must be at least 21 years old and must have held a full UK driving Licence or EU Licence for at least 1 year?  You can only apply if you currently hold a UK licence. There should be no more than six current penalty points on the licence.

Applicants for both hackney carriage and private hire driver licences must undertake a medical examination for a Group 2 licence and a certificate, on the correct medical form (available under Downloads), is to be submitted when: 

  1. An application is first made,
  2. When a licensed hackney carriage or private hire driver attains 45 years of age and then every 5 years thereafter,
  3. When a licensed hackney carriage or private hire driver attains 65 years of age and then every year thereafter.

The production of a satisfactory medical certificate or duplicate copy obtained in respect of a Public Service Vehicle or Heavy Goods Vehicle licence within 12 months of the date of application will be acceptable in lieu of a medical examination.

All applicants must pass a 'knowledge test' which is based on the streets of Corby Borough, places of interest in the Borough, highway code and policy and law relating to the licensing regime.

New applications should be made in person to the One Stop Shop. Applicants are required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service form which will take 4-6 weeks to process.

In addition, applicants that have lived in a country other than the UK for one or more continuous periods of six months within the last five years shall submit a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ issued by the relevant non-UK country. The certificate must be an extract from the judicial record or equivalent document issued by a competent judicial or administrative authority for the relevant country. The certificate must document any convictions recorded against the individual or confirm ‘good conduct’. The applicant must meet any cost associated with supplying the document.

A licence is issued with a drivers badge . The badge must be worn in a prominent position by the driver so it can be easily seen by the public.

How to apply

Applicants must complete an application form, a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) form and produce a valid DVLA licence.  Applications and guidance forms can be found in the 'download' section.  Corby Borough Council can only process online DBS applications.  If you wish to apply for a DBS using a paper application you will need to have this processed by an official umbrella organisations.  

Once you have received your certificate our Licensing Officer will need to review it.  Please note that all new and renewal applicants must sign up for the 'DBS online service'.

The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service allows:

  • applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date
  • employers to check a DBS certificate

You can find full details at www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.

Note: you must join within 30 calendar days of your DBS certificate issue date.  If you don't you will need to reapply.


Last updated: Tuesday 22nd June 2021 09:39:38 AM
Review date: Friday 17th June 2022 09:38:08 AM