Environmental Permitting

Regulation of Industrial Processes


Local Authorities in England and Wales are required to inspect and regulate certain industrial processes to reduce pollution, with specific focus on improving air quality. The Pollution Prevention & Control Act 1999 and The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 are used in conjunction to govern Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) and Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC).

Industrial processes are categorised as per the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as Part A1, Part A2 and Part B processes. Below, the regulating body for each type of process in Corby is listed:


Regulating Bodies for each type of Permit


As per above table, the Council is responsible for permitting and inspecting all A2 and B processes within the borough. A comprehensive list of these processes can be found on our Permitted Processes Register, along with details of each permit. Part A1 and Part A2 processes regulate emissions to air, water and land as well as considering other issues such as energy efficiency, noise and waste. Part B processes are regulation with emissions only to air, such as vehicle re-spraying, use of bulk cement and the unloading of petrol.

Any person operating a process that requires either a Part A2 or B permit must submit an application, with the appropriate fee, to the Local Authority. The Local Authority will consider the application in accordance with statutory guidance.  


Exempt Waste Operations


The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 require most activities that treat or manage waste to have a permit. However, there are some activities that are considered exempt, which do not need a permit but do need to be registered in Corby. 

The majority of exempt waste operations are registered by the Environment Agency, however under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016, any T3 or T7 operations operating within Corby must be registered with Corby Borough Council.

General information on Exempt Waste Operations can be found in this guidance. Please read the legislation for more information on the criteria for T3 and T7 operations.


How to Apply for a Permit


If you wish to apply for a Part A2 and/or B Permit, or register for a Waste Exemption (T3 or T7), download the relevant  application form, located in the “downloads” section to the right hand side of this page. The fees and charges for each type of permit are also listed in a document in the "downloads" section. Please note that there is no fee for a Waste Exemption Registration. Once you have downloaded the form, complete and return to:


Environmental Services,

Corby Borough Council,

Deene House,

New Post Office Square,



NN17 1GD


Further Information


For further information, please see the Guidance Notes listed on the National Archives

Alternatively, please visit the Department of Environment and Rural Affairs website.



Last updated: Monday 21st October 2019 03:53:06 PM
Review date: Thursday 15th October 2020 03:52:55 PM