Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Food registration

We have moved to the North North Northamptonshire website If you are not redirected to our new site in five seconds, click here.

Registration of food businesses (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law under Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 (Article 6).

Registration will allow Local Authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

What is the register for?

Every local authority is required by law to keep a register of all the food businesses within its area. Officers from the North Northamptonshire Council Food Team have to visit all food premises at various times depending on the type of business being run. Registering your business is a simple process. No registration will be refused but you must fill out the form correctly.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business for 5 or more days in any 5 consecutive weeks, you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g., some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact our Environmental Health Department or email envhealth.cbc@northnorthants.gov.uk if you think you might be exempt. 

How do I register?

Proprietors can register online by clicking on this link Food registration online form  or download the form in the downloads section.

If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.  You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. Seasonal businesses operating for a certain period each year should give the dates between which they will be open. If you have any questions our  Environmental Health will be happy to help you.  It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

Which local authority should I register with?

If you have food premises within the area of Corby, you must register with the North Northamptonshire Council Environmental Health Commercial Team. If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Is there a charge for registering?


What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details on the Register. A register of the name of the business (if any), the address, telephone number and the type of business carried on at each will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available.

How do I notify the council of any changes?

Once you have registered with us you only need notify us of a change of food business operator or if the nature of the business changes. The new food business operator will have to complete an application form.

If we wish to change the entry in the Register because of information which it receives from someone else you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

Please note: these notes are provided for information only and should not be regarded as a complete statement of law.

The registration process enables us to keep an accurate database of food businesses in Corby. It is also helpful to tell us before you open so that we have an opportunity of discussing food hygiene requirements before food is sold to the public.  To register with us, please click on the link below to complete the Food Registration Form.  We will then contact you to arrange an initial inspection within 28 days of receiving the application form.

Starting a new food business

If you are thinking of starting a food business, North Northamptonshire Council’s Food safety team can guide you through the many legal requirements, such as:

  • Choosing suitable premises
  • Making structural alterations
  • Installing facilities
  • Drawing up food safety procedures
  • Training staff
Further Information

Licensing Unit

 Contact us

Last updated: Sunday 29th January 2023 01:34:07 PM