Housing Benefit Payments & Council Tax Support Payments

Your Housing Benefit will cease if you claim Universal Credit and Housing Costs will be assessed by the Department of Work and Pensions and paid monthly in arrears as part of  your Universal Credit entitlement.

If your Housing Benefit has been suspended for any reason, your entitlement has not ceased but payments will not be made until the reason for the suspension has been addressed.

Council Tenants

If you rent your home from the Council, Housing Benefit will be credited to your rent account and will show on this account on a Monday. If you only receive part payments of Housing Benefit you must make up any shortfall each week/month to avoid rent arrears.

back to top

Housing Association Tenants

If you rent from a Housing Association, a BACs (Bank Automated credit) will be sent to your Landlord's bank account. If you have to make up any shortfall between your rent and your Housing Benefit you must contact your Landlord to arrange payment of this.

back to top

 Private Tenants

If you receive Local Housing Allowance, your benefit will be paid to your bank account by BACs (Bank Automated Credit)

If you wish payments to go directly to your landlord, this can be arranged, but for the purpose of Local Housing Allowance case only in special circumstances.   Safeguard Guidance

back to top

Bank Automated Credit (BACs) payments

To request Housing Benefit to be paid by BACs, please complete the following form.

back to top

Frequency of Payments

Housing Benefit for Private Tenants and Housing Association tenants is paid 4 weeks in arrears by cheque or BACs and is issued on a Monday.

If the Monday is a Bank Holiday then the payments are issued on Tuesday

The payment will reach your account within 3 to 4 Days.

So this means the money should be available to pay your rent by Wednesday or Thursday of that week.

If you need to check if the payment has been issued and received, please check your bank account first before calling the Council.

 back to to

Payment Dates 2019/2020


4 March 2019

1 April 2019

29 April 2019

27 May 2019(BH)

24 June 2019

22 July 2019

19 August 2019

16 September 2019

14 October 2019

11 November 2019

9 December 2019

6 January 2020

3 February 2020

2 March 2020

30 March 2020


back to top

Council Tax Support

The Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) award you receive will be credited to your Council Tax account to reduce your Council Tax liability.

A revised Council Tax bill will be sent to you, when your Council Tax Support claim is assessed.

back to top

Last updated: Friday 20th December 2019 10:56:41 AM
Review date: Friday 29th May 2020 12:22:52 PM