Do I need to submit a new claim form?
In some circumstances a new claim form for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support should be submitted. You need to complete a new claim form and provide supporting evidence.
In other circumstances, you do not have to complete a new form but should report the change of circumstances in writing
Corby Borough is a Universal Full Service from 01/02/2017.
We may be unable to accept a claim for Housing Benefit.
You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you're:
- living in temporary accommodation, sheltered housing or a council hostel
- in a household with 3 or more children (until further notice)
If you require assistance with your Council Tax Support, you will need to claim with Corby Borough Council, irrespective of your age.
In all cases below it will depend on whether you are eligible to claim Housing Benefit or should claim Housing Costs via Universal Credit, please see above.
Reasons for submitting a new claim form.
1.The person who claims Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support has died. If you were the partner or a person living there, you should make a new claim in your own right.
2. The person who claims Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support has moved out, goes to prison for more than 13 week or goes into permanent residential care. If you are the partner, ex partner or a person living there, you should make a claim in your own right.
3.You have moved from a different council area.
4. You have no current active claim for benefit.
5. If you are claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support for the first time or you have not received housing benefit/council tax benefit before.
This could be because your income has changed.
You may be entitled to Housing Benefit but not to Council Tax Support, your income changes and you would be entitled to Council Tax Support. To claim Council Tax Support, you should complete a new claim form.
If you move or your tenancy changes, you may need to complete a new form to claim the type of benefit you were not receiving at the old address.
You have received Housing Benefit for renting a room in a house. You are not liable for the Council Tax at that property because your landlord is. When you move to a council property, housing association property or a private rented property where you rent the whole property, you would be liable for Council Tax . So you would need to complete a new claim form to claim Council Tax Support.
If you were moving from renting a room in one house to a renting a room in another house, you should complete a change of address form for private tenants.
If you were claiming Council Tax Support only at your previous property but then start to rent, you should complete a new claim form to claim Housing Benefit.
Change of Circumstances
1. Your partner has died and you are the person claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. Please bring in details of the bereavement and your new income and bank details when awarded.
2. Your partner has moved out and you are the person claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. Please bring in details of the dates your partner and your new income and bank details when awarded.
3. Change of Address.
If you are a council tenant or want to claim Council Tax Support only, please complete change of address form Council Tenant/Council Tax only.
If you are a private tenant or Housing Association tenant, please complete change of address form Private Tenants. This will only apply if you were receiving Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support at the previous address.
4. When an extended payment period (4 weeks extra benefit when you start work sometimes called a Housing Benefit run-on) is granted. To claim whilst working we need you to complete an in work claim form (which asked details of your work, employer, hours work, earnings (payslips), tax credits.childcare costs and bank statements
5. Any changes in circumstances, i.e.
a. income, (benefits, tax credits, wages)
b. rent, (increase, landlord)
c. capital, (increase or decrease)
d. household (children, non-dependants, partners move out or move in)
e. Status (becomes a student, unemployed)
f. Childcare costs change or stop
Housing Benefit Application Form