Covid Self-Isolation Payments - September 2020

The scheme will last until 31 March 2021


If you have been contacted by NHS Test and Trace and have been told to self-isolate, you may be entitled to financial support. If you meet all the following eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to a lump sum payment of £500:

  • You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September 2020 & have a NHS Track and Trace number.
  • You are employed or self-employed.
  • You cannot work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • You are currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

The Authority can also consider making a Discretionary Award of a £500 lump sum payment in exceptional circumstances to an individual who meets the main qualifying criteria for the Test and Trace Support Paymentbut is not in receipt of qualifying benefits and will suffer financial hardship as a result of not being able to work.

Information required to support an Application. This MUST be provided with the application.

You will require

  • Your 8 digit test and trace ID number
  • Your most recent bank statement to show your account number, sort code and name as it appears on the account.
  • Proof of employment eg current payslips, self assessment returns
  • Evidence that you will lose income as a result of self-isolation. This can be in the form of a payslip showing a reduced income for the period of isolation or an email from your employer confirming that you will not be paid
  • Proof of your NHS Test and Trace Notification
  • Evidence of financial hardship

Our initial discretionary fund had been exhausted which was why we were unable to make awards with effect from 18th January 2021. However further limited funds have now been made available and therefore we can now accept new applications for Discretionary payments with effect from the 15th February 2021. 

If you have received a notification after 18th January 2021 that your application has been declined on the grounds that the fund was exhausted and you still wish to apply, you will need to make a new application.

HOWEVER, in all cases owing to the anticipated volume of applications and the limited funds available, at the time of submitting your application you MUST provide all of the information listed above otherwise you will be unsuccessful.

Multiple claims

Someone can claim more than once (if they are told to self-isolate multiple times), as long as they meet the eligibility criteria for each individual claim and their periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

Applications made after someone’s period of self-isolation has ended

Eligible individuals can only make a claim up to 28 after their period of self-isolation started.

Third-party applications

Applicants can apply on behalf of someone else. However, the £500 must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made.

Applicants who are quarantining after returning to the UK

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme does not cover people who are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad.

Applicants who are furloughed

The Authority will not make payments to applicants whose income is lower than normal because they are furloughed. 

Applicants whose employer is closed due to National Lockdown Measures

If your employer is currently closed due to the current National Lockdown you cannot apply for a payment.


The Authority is not required to provide a right of appeal against any decision not to award a payment.

How to contact us if you want to claim

As claims are required to be made on line you can download a form in downloads – An icon with an ‘Ab’ comes up and you can then click on the document and type. Please e-mail  the form to with your supporting information.

Please also see link to our online forms - Covid Self-Isolation Payment Application 

If you have any problems with this form, please email providing a contact telephone number in case we need to call you. We will register your enquiry and send an email claim form. Please complete and return the form, you simply need to press reply, complete the form and provide your supporting information, after receipt of which we will process the information.

If you are having any difficulties accessing or completing the on line forms, please email us and we will contact you to discuss alternate options.

Last updated: Thursday 18th February 2021 08:44:54 AM
Review date: Sunday 13th February 2022 08:43:22 AM