Corby’s continued commitment to being green has landed the borough the title of the 3rd most energy efficient place to live in the UK according to data released by Compare the Market.
The data shows that Corby has a high number of Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) rated between A-C. EPC tells you how energy efficient a building is by giving it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient) and it explains how costly it will be to heat and power, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be. Not to mention, it keeps the energy bills low and affordable all year round – something that Corby Borough Council is committed to providing to Corby residents along with reducing the borough’s carbon footprint and lowering our contribution to climate change, all of which a good EPC rating does.
This fantastic result comes mainly from Corby’s large number of new homes delivered in recent years and the drive to improve and insulate the Council’s housing stock.
Corby Borough Council’s Lead Member for Environment, Cllr Mark Pengelly, said:
“In a time where the world is filled with uncertainty, Corby being recognised as one of the most energy efficient places to live is welcome news! Corby Borough Council is committed to providing energy efficiency to the best of our ability, not only for our residents, but for the environment too.”
Notes to Editor:
- Corby has consistently been one of the fastest growing Council areas in England in terms of new dwellings built. In the past 3 years 1,578 homes were completed in Corby, of which 94 were new Council homes. These homes were built to modern insulation standard, in most cases above standard energy efficiency building regulations which has included renewable energy technology such as solar panels and heat pumps.
- In August 2019 the Council declared a climate emergency to become carbon neutral by 2030.
- Most energy efficient cities - the original report is found here https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/content/energy-efficient-cities/
- All EPCs are public - Link to Government’s EPC register http://www.epcregister.com/
- Corby Borough Council is part of the Northants Warm Homes Partnership – this website is full of useful information on grants for free first time gas central heating and links on how to make your home energy efficient https://www.northantswarmhomes.com/
- Corby is part of the Local Energy Advice Partnership called LEAP – Free home energy service in Corby. Funded by AgilityECO and Public Health Northants. Bookings and prequalification details are still being taken over the phone and on the web during the Covid period. Home visits have been delayed till further notice call 0800 060 7567 or https://applyforleap.org.uk/
- If you are in financial difficulty with energy bills contact Northants Energy Saving Service NESS on 01604 623700 or visit https://www.northamptonshireenergysavingservice.org.uk/ This service is still open during the covid period.